24 April 2019
1. Retirement Info
2. Retirement Certificates
3. FRS Elections
4. National Teacher's Day
5. School Nurse's Day
6. Mark Your Calendar
7. HCR Newsletter
8. Minutes from EAC/Europe FEA page
9. NEA Great Public School Funds Grants
10. Area Director's Travels
1. Retirement Info -- To start working on your retirement application, please login to EBIS https://www.ebis.army.mil/login using a CAC enabled computer and click on "eretirement".
You will answer a series of questions and click the submit button, once you click on submit, it doesn't send your packet anywhere but it does generate your official retirement forms in PDF format for you to print, sign and mail to ABC for processing.
Mailing address for retirement packages:
Army Benefits Center - Civilian
305 Marshall Ave
Fort Riley, KS 66442-7005
If you would like a retirement estimate, please log into EBIS and click on "HR link" and follow the prompts in making your estimate request.
Additional contact information for the Army Benefits Center (ABC) is as follows: Army Benefits Center - Civilian (ABC-C): https://www.abc.army.mil
ABC Benefits Inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
This comes from DoDEA, and should all be in working order. It may be you need to cut and paste the links in order for them to work.
2. FEA Retirement Certificates -- If you or someone you know is retiring this year and they are a member, FEA can provide a retirement certificate. You will need to get this information to your division rep by May 11 in order to get the certificate to them so do not delay.
3. FRS Elections - It is generally the time of year (usually late April in to May) when schools will be choosing their Faculty Representative Spokesperson for SY 18/19. This is a very important task and I hope that all schools will do all they can to run open, fair and transparent elections. Current FRS's have been provided with the SOP for such elections that was adopted by the EAC. Please note that most of what is in the SOP are recommendations as the election of a FRS is a very local matter. When your elections are completed please let your division rep as well as the area director know the name of the FRS for SY 18-19.
4. National Teacher Day - National Teacher Day is a day for honoring teachers and recognizing the lasting contributions they make to our lives. Congress declared March 7, 1980, as National Teacher Day for that year only. NEA and its affiliates continued to observe National Teacher Day in March until 1985, when the NEA Representative Assembly voted to change the event to Tuesday of the first full week of May. In May of 2009, a bill was introduced in Congress that created a national day of teacher recognition on the Tuesday of the first full week of May. Learn more at NEA's National Teacher Day site
5. School Nurse Day - Wednesday, May 8, is National School Nurse Day. School nurses work to promote health and provide the best care possible to students and their families. Take time on this day to look at the difference school nurses make in our schools. On a personal note, I would like to thank all our dedicated nurses for their hard work and patience in dealing with our students (and teachers)! They look after us as well!
6. Mark Your Calendar
May 5 -- Cinco de Mayo
May 7 --- National Teacher's Day (6-10 Teacher appreciation week)
May 8 -- School Nurses Day
May 10 -- Military Spouse Appreciation Day
May 12 -- Mother's Day
May 20-25 -- European Championships for Soccer, Softball, Baseball, and Track (Ramstein/Kaiserslautern)
May 27 -- Memorial Day
May1-31 - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
May 1-31 - Jewish American Heritage Month
7. HCR Newsletter -- April's HCR Newsletter from FEA HCR Coordinator Alina Rozanski. This issue contains information about opportunities to serve in leadership positions within FEA, inclusive Mother's and Father's Day activities, links to previous newsletters, and contact information for HCR advocates. Read the April HCR newsletter here
8. Minutes from the Fall EAC minutes -- Seems the last link may not have worked well for these, and therefore am sending it again and the link works. Here you will land on the Europe FEA page and can find the minutes from the Fall EAC meeting as well as past Unity or other informational pages. It has been a bit busy this year so has taken a bit to get them sorted, checked, and approved. We apologize for the delay, and hope to get things sorted a bit quicker next year. www.feaonline.org/europe.htm You can also find links to the 2017 minutes, the Unity and the Europe leadership directory, should you need any archived information.
9. NEA Great Public School Funds Grants -- The next application deadline for NEA's Great Public School Funds Grants (GPS Funds) is June 1, 2019. Any Local Affiliate of the Association may submit an application for a project. If you are an Association member and have an idea for a project for which you'd like to seek grant funds, talk with your Local Association officers to see whether you can apply on behalf of your Local.
Priority in the current round of funding will be given for projects that focus on Early Career Educators and/or Racial Justice in Education; though grant requests are not limited to those areas. In order to increase your chances of being successfully selected for a grant, you can submit an "Intent to Apply" notification to NEA by April 30. This will allow NEA to provide you feedback on your idea, which you can use to shape your final application before the June 1 deadline. For full details on the GPS Funds opportunity, go to this page on the NEA site. There you will find GPS Funds guidelines, a link to the "Intent to Submit" form, and other information to explain the grants and how to apply.
Any FEA member who decides to submit an application is asked to inform FEA's Director of Communications, Gary Hritz, of their intent to do so. You can reach Gary at email@example.com
10. Area Director's Travels -- I am traveling to the great schools of AF North and Kleine Brogel 1-3 May. However, you can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's up.
FEA Europe Area Director